Friday, June 26, 2009

What's mine is mine and what's yours is mine.

I had to go to the doctor today.

Not my most favorite thing to do, but of the infinite amount of possible options, certainly not the worst thing in the world. But before I go freaking out my in-laws causing them to call in the national guard because of a doctors appointment (they tend to over react), nothing is wrong. I just needed some blood work done to check on my recently diagnose thyroid condition (hallelujah! I'm fluffy for a reason).

When I arrived at the doctor's office, I wrote my name at the bottom of the list, turned and scoured the magazine racks for something half way interesting to read. As doctor's offices go, I was fortunate that my doctor's office places a premium on current issues of Newsweek, Time, Parents, Self and Good Housekeeping. Feeling a little guilty that I wasn't more up-to-date on the current Iranian election crisis, I selected the copy of Newsweek and plopped myself down into one of the numerous uncomfortable utilitarian plastic chairs in the waiting room.

"Andrea" Wow, that was fast.
I placed my magazine on the chair,trotted up to the window, mumbled yes to the usual screening questions (is your insurance XXX, are you still at XXX, is your phone number still XXX), payed my co-pay and returned to my seat.

Where I noticed a slightly older man, probably in his mid-40's whose outfit of faded khakis, a light blue short sleeved stripped shirt, leather boat shoes with no socks would have felt more comfortable on the set of Miami Vice than a Ohio doctors office, has snaked my copy of Newsweek.
Mine! I shouted to myself.
So what if that was a childish, greedy response. Without that issue, I was forced to read about Beyonce's personal wardrobe and how she manages to not get "too toned" during her shows. Uhm, thanks but no thanks.

The nurse called my name and I slapped my magazine down harder than I'd intended. The retro man looked up from my "other" magazine and gave me a flash smile. I lowered my forehead and made slits with my eyes. Mentally, I was broadcasting that stealing a person's magazine was NOT acceptable behavior in this office. I continued glaring long after the nurse closed the door behind me to the waiting room.

1 comments:

Artist Victoria O'Neill June 29, 2009 at 12:28 AM  

doctor's offices are just the worst places to WAIT, and everybody gets wierd in them in some way.......becuz of stress I suppose....

  © Blogger templates ProBlogger Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP