Tuesday, August 18, 2009

My kid can do that!

There are days when I think Tyler is holding out on me.

I think the kid can do more than he leads on.

Prime example, Sunday evening:

I walked down the stairs after changing my clothes and stopped in my tracks at the next to last step and stared blankly at my 2 yr old son. He stood fiercely, in the living room, chest puffed out, arm extended high above his head, proudly waving a peeled banana as if to scream Ta-Da! Look what I did Mommy! He smiled widely with a mouthful of banana and a that's when it occurred to me, he climbed up on the counter, got the banana and peeled it himself. I leaned out, peered around the corner of the stairwell and saw the banana peel perched on the edge of the trash can. My mouth hung open. I blinked. Then blinked twice again, quickly.

I turned back to look at him.

"Hold that thought..." I held up one finger as if to pause the scene.

I backed slowly up the stairs, turned into the bathroom, closed my eyes, took a deep breath, rounded the corner again and descended back down the stairs. I opened my eyes and there he stood, still in the middle of the living room, banana in one hand, with half of it gone now, eaten.

I was speechless. My 2 yr old had peeled his own banana.

I sat down on the bottom step, placed my forearms on my knees, lowered my head, shook it side to side.

What was next; tieing his own shoes, combing his own hair, walking the dog, taking out the garbage, doing the laundry, fixing dinner, washing the dishes?

This growing up thing is progressing much too quickly for my taste, I want my baby back. I demand my baby back!

Oh wait, did you say washing the laundry? Uhm....well, maybe growing up isn't so bad after all.

Tomorrow's to-list:
#1 - Teach Tyler to sort the laundry

  © Blogger templates ProBlogger Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP